Monday, March 3, 2008

Perspective is Powerful

I know I have said this before, but I really think if we understood how important perspective is, our lives really would be changed. I have two examples to share of how I still need to learn this lesson.

I was at a kids clothing store with my seven year old boy. He is a tall boy for his age, his Dad is 6'4". He comes by it honestly. So, I bought him a sweater, size large. He is a medium now, so I bought it big for him to grow into. Well of course he wants to wear it because it is new. (He cares about clothes more than his 10 year old sister, go figure) Anyway, it is way too big on him. My husband laughs and tells him to give it to me to wear for a few months. So, jokingly I tried it on. It fit perfect. It still blows my mind to think about it. I still see myself larger than I am. I can not wrap my brain around the fact that my body that used to be a womans size 24, or a 3XL can fit into a boys sweater. It seems so surreal.

My other story is shopping with my mega skinny sister in law. Now, shopping with her has always been hard on me. Not because she makes it hard, just because I did. So, we were shopping for jeans for her and she grabbed a size 8. I did a double take. I am a size 8 or 10 depending, how is it possible that she is a size 8. Woah. The pants fit her too, she was not just being crazy. When she was looking in the mirror, asking what we all ask about our butt, I realized something. She has a much different shape than me. Oh, I guess everyone has their own shape, so clothes fit differently. Yes, I know, DUH! For the longest time I was thinking it was all about size. Wow, to be a size 6 what would that be like? But you know what? I feel good now. I work hard now. I want all the clothes I have to feel and look good on me, no matter what the tag happens to say the size is.

I think so often we let our perception of life dictate how we feel. If we are feeling bad about ourselves, how about we look at it a different way. You never know, it just might work.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

aww that is some good perspective! makes me smile for you.

Jenn said...

Its really hard to see ourselves the way other see us. Sometimes we need to step outside of our perception to see the point of view from other's angles.


Cute that your son's sweater fit you! :)

Danielle said...

So true! I've often wondered the same thing about ME when I try on a size 6 and it fits! Like, HOW can *I* fit into a size 6!?! I spent so long being pregnant or just having a baby that I thought I'd never regain my figure. Good for you!