Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why do I eat?

Katie asked a really good question today. Why do I eat? I have eaten for every reason under the sun. My overeating is almost always linked to something emotional. Happy? Eat! Sad? Eat. Grumpy? Eat more! I overeat the most when I am feeling sorry for myself. Poor me, I deserve 10 cookies. I have gotten a grip on all this emotional eating these last few years, but every once and awhile it just sneaks right in there, and all of a sudden I find myself stuffing my face.

Being so very sick these past few days has been an interesting food study for me. I am finding it hard to get up off the couch, so my normal routine of eating and exercising is out the window. I am only eating when I know my body needs it. I went so many years without ever figuring out when I was hungry, or thinking about what my body needed. I just mindlessly ate. I am thankful for this body I have, with all my lumps and bumps, for the most part it works. After what I did to it for so many years, I am very thankful.

4 comments:

healthy ashley said...

It is quite a journey to learn to listen to your body. I'm finally making my own advances. I am also a "Poor me.." and a "Yay me.."..let's eat! I'm slowly beginning to recognize when those situations arise.
Good luck with continuing to listen to your body.

LessLisa said...

I love your attitude. Thanks for always offering encouragement on my end. Get used to seeing me; I find a positive person and I'm all over it! Thank you!

Miss July...not...yet said...

Oh, poor me...I tried to play that card today and the bag ripped dropping my comfort food all over the dirty floor. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking poor me and be grateful for what I have! Sounds like you are there already.

You are very inspiring. Thank you. :-)

Jenn said...

Its hard to listen to your body about when you are hungry. I have that problem at work - when I get bored, I want a snack. I never actually get too hungry because I eat so many snacks!
Way to go with listening to your body, you are inspiring!