Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Does it Matter How Much?

Most of you know I have lost over 120 pounds. That is a lot of weight. I always rolled my eyes at people who wanted to lose those last five pounds and grab their belly skin. You know those people? I was insulted when people said that to me. In my head I was thinking, "Oh shut up. What do you have to complain about?" Most of you I am sure know exactly what I am talking about. During this time of weight loss and self discovery I have come to realize that those last five pounds are really hard to lose. I never knew that before. Those last pounds are a tenacious bunch. My point now is that I get why people are frustrated when they are trying to lose that last little bit. (unless you are underweight already. Then you need help.)

Now, do not get me wrong here. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING. I had someone say that to me once. Losing a huge amount of weight and a few pounds is not the same. It is very different. However, I get both sides now. I understand. I will however never ever ever go on and on about my last five pounds with a friend who is struggling to lose a large amount of weight. It just is not nice.

Any opinions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. There is a huge difference, and that's awesome that you are now in that "5 pounds left" category and choosing NOT to complain about it to those who are still struggling. You are super inspiring!! Keep it up!

Leenie said...

I completely agree also. Its amazing when you are able to understand both sides of the issue. Keep on doing what you do!

P.O.M. said...

Hi. Let me start by saying that I think you're incredible. You worked so hard and have accomplished so much.

Since you point this out, I realize that I do exactly what you are talking about. I'm sure people don't want to hear about my last 5 lbs. I try to not talk about it in real life and just blog about it. I did have 35 lbs to lose and I am now at the "5 more" stage. I think it's because this becomes such a huge part of your life- dieting and losing weight. So even when you're at 5 lbs left, you are still in the "LOSE" mode.

Being in the "5 to go" is great. And I feel so blessed to be here. Maintaining this (or losing the last 5) will always be something that I have to be conscious about. I can (and have) easily slipped and gained 15 lbs without even realizing.

Keep up the good work. You really do look amazing.